Subtitle

Making the invisible...visible.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Running Away from God



I so hate consequences; running from you is what my best defense is.” ~Relient K


             At 10:30 PM when I left St. Louis, the snow was already starting to fall.  I drove as fast as I could on I-70E, trying to get home to Indianapolis before the big blizzard hit.  The storm was trailing closely behind me.  I kept trying not to think of how bad it would be if my tiny Honda Civic got stuck in the middle of Effingham.  Just when I thought I was going to make it – less than an hour away from my apartment – the blizzard came down hard.  I was forced to roll sluggishly the remainder of the way home.  Sometime after 3:30 AM, I finally arrived...exhausted. 
I could have waited.  I could have stayed in St. Louis and avoided battling the storm.  So you might ask: why would anyone make such a crazy trip?
Because I was running away from God. 
#
Okay, let me give you a little more backstory.  I went to St. Louis in the first place to see some friends, but also to get away for a while.  During that time in my life, many good things were happening.  I had great friends, a nice apartment, and an esteemed sales job with one of the top Fortune 500 companies.  But the truth is: I was deeply unhappy.  I wanted more for my life, but I kept telling myself that things would get better if I just got married or if I got a different job.  In the couple months prior, however, the idea of priesthood started surfacing in my mind like never before. 
And it scared the pants off me.
I arrived early in St. Louis so that I could visit the Cathedral Basilica.  The beauty of the church touched my heart.  I stayed there for Mass and a young deacon gave an inspiring homily.  After Mass, I went to the front of the altar and lay down prostrate with all my concerns.  I rededicate my life to you, Lord, I prayed.  Show me what you want for me.
I left the church and went to the restaurant to meet up with my friends.  We had a great time laughing and telling stories.  They had informed me that their friend Carlos would also be joining us.  That was no problem with me – until Carlos actually showed up.  To my disbelief, Carlos was the deacon who I had just heard preaching at Mass.  And as it turns out, he was also a seminarian, only a few months away from being ordained to the Catholic Priesthood. 
I don’t know how he did it, but Deacon Carlos saw right through me that night.  I could sense that he somehow knew my confusion and pain even more than my friends could grasp.  He shared his story about what led him to the priesthood.  Every word out of his mouth seemed to speak to all my fears and insecurities.  What bothered me the most though was that this dude was happy.  He was genuinely happy!  How was that possible?  A celibate man (how unnatural!), sworn to a life of service is happier than me, a wealthy bachelor with complete autonomy?       
When I saw on the weather radar that the storm was approaching, I announced that I had to leave.  My friends worried about me making such a dangerous trip back.  Then Deacon Carlos said, “You know, you are welcome to stay the night at the seminary if you like?”  In my mind, I screamed: NEVER!!!  I promptly bolted out of there after some quick goodbyes and began my arduous trek home.
In the wee hours of the morning, when I finally laid in my bed, I sighed deeply and asked myself:
What am I running from?
#
Have you ever been like me and tried to run away from God?  Maybe for you it isn’t the call to seminary; maybe it’s a call to a relationship, a ministry, or to intimacy with God in prayer.  Sometimes it’s okay for us to wrestle with God.  Jacob wrestled with God from evening until dawn and afterward his name was changed (Gen 32:24-28).  God gives us the freedom to wrestle with him because he loves us, but when we finally give up the fight, we are changed for the better.  Surrender can be challenging though...even for two-year old princesses.
A couple years back, I was at my goddaughter’s princess birthday party.  All her neighborhood baby friends were there, including little Emily.  For some reason, all Emily wanted to do that day was run toward the basement stairs and hurl herself down headlong.  Therefore, I was put in charge of making sure little Emily stayed in the play area in the family room.  Little Emily made numerous attempts to run to the stairs, but I gently stopped her each time.  She put up this fight for at least an hour until one last time she ran over to me.  I picked her up to prevent her from going to the stairs like I had been doing.  But this time, her head slumped on my neck and she rested in my arms.  Little Emily was done fighting.  For the rest of the party, she just let me hold her.   
When we surrender to God, we are not giving in to a tyrant who wants to Lord over us.  Instead, we are allowing ourselves to be held by our Father who loves us.  He delights in caring for us and only “gives good gifts to his children” (Matt 7:11).  Whether or not I am called to be a priest, I am so grateful to God for sending Deacon Carlos to me that night and for bringing me to seminary.  It is a daily surrender for me – and for all of us – to receive God’s provision and stay in the arms of our Father.
#
Written by Joey Martineck
First posted at Beautiful Things: http://www.joeymartineck.blogspot.com/
Names changed for privacy.
Graphic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2869606/Brrrrace-Weather-bomb-brings-ice-10cm-SNOW-temperatures-drop-3C-torrential-downpours-hit-southern-England.html

No comments:

Post a Comment